Saturday, April 19, 2008

Poetry

LOUDER THAN A CLAP OF THUNDER
By Jack Prelutsky
from THE NEW KID ON THE BLOCK

Louder than a clap of thunder,
louder than an eagle screams,
louder than a dragon blunders,
or a dozen football teams,
louder than a four-alarmer,
or a rushing waterfall,
louder than a knight in armor
jumping from a ten-foot wall.
Louder than an earthquake rumbles,
louder than a tidal wave,
louder than an ogre grumbles
as he stumbles through his cave,
louder than stampeding cattle,
louder than a cannon roars
louder than a giant’s rattle,
that’s how loud my father SNORES!

Response: hahah I love this poem, because this is MY dad!!! It reminds me of the onetime our school went on a camping trip and my dad chaperoned and slept in the boy’s cabin. That night everyone woke up to the sound of all the boys screaming, they thought someone had a chainsaw in their cabin!!!! (My dad's snoring!)
I love the sounds in this poem... grumble, rumble, and roar...this poem is formed in a limerick, with the rhythmic pattern being every other line.

No comments: