Sunday, March 16, 2008

Swamp Angel


Title: Swamp Angel
Author: Anne Isaacs
Illustrator: Paul O. Zelinsky
Publisher: Puffin Books, 1994
Grade level: k-5
Genre: traditional literature, picture book
Awards: 1995 Caldecott Honor Book

Summary: When Angelica Longrider was born she was already adult size. She lives in Tennessee out were the swamps are. Because of her size she helped the town the best she could. She built cabins and lifted wagons, and helped people when in danger in the water. But when a big mean bear named Thundering Tarantion comes to ruin her town’s way of life, she steps in to help again. The town holds a contest to capture the bear. Angelica enters even though the men tell her to go bake something. She wrestled the bear five days straight, until they feel asleep. While Angleica was sleeping she snored so loud she made a tree fall right on Thundering Tarantion and killed him! There was a big celebration were everyone ate bear meat.

Response: I thought this book was adorable! I have never even heard of it before. This was a great tall tale. I really liked Angelica “Swamp Angel” she was so whole hearted and sweet even though she was huge! I loved how even though Angelica was a girl she bucked up and fought with the boys and won! This was a great story with super illustrations. It was very unique the way the illustrations were done on wood, things like this fascinates me. I loved how they had borders as well.

Teaching Ideas: I loved how women were seen in this tale. I would probably use this story in introducing strong women in the younger grades. I would even use this book while discussing tall tales in English with upper grades. I just loved this book it was a very unique wonder example of a tall tale. I would then have the students write a tale of their own.

No comments: