Thursday, January 31, 2008


Title: No, David!
Author: David Shannon
Illustrator: David Shannon
Publisher: Blue Sky Press, 1998
Genre: Humor/Picture book
Age Range: K

Summary: This book is about a little boy who likes to get into trouble. David hears “No” more than any word. He drags mud through the house, plays baseball inside, runs around naked, plays with his food, and won’t clean his room. But finally when he gets sent to time out mom ends with a “yes” and an “I Love You!”

Response: I can definitely see why this book won the Caldecott metal. The images are hysterical. Anyone that has kids or that has worked with small children feels like they can relate, I know I can. I worked as a two’s teacher for four years, and I have said “No” more than any word in that classroom. I love how this story ends; it’s just like real life, because no matter how mad the kids make you they always have your heart!

Teaching Ideas: This is a wonderful book. It would be a great book for a child’s first book. It has only a few words but it is fun and entertaining. This would be a good book to talk about behavior issues and attitudes. Also the book ends on a good note, of family love. The students can discuss their own families maybe even bring in pictures to make an art collage.

No comments: